Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Room Redesign.

I decided to redecorate my bedroom at my parents house in Hayesville, North Carolina. I have been staying there a lot lately and decided it needed refreshing. I did not even think to take before pictures,I was just so ready to get started on the project! I had Chinese red lacquered walls that took days to sand down. Then I added several coats of primer and three coats of Sherwin Williams Aloof Gray. The bedding is from the Martha Stewart Trousseau Collection. Next I got out to hit the local consignment, thrift and antique stores. Here are the results so far.


I found a great yellow ceramic lamp at a thrift store and added a black fabric shade from Wal-Mart. The commode came from the Reach thrift store in Hayesville. All it needed was a coat of paint. Sherwin Williams Caviar.

I found this great frame also at the Reach thrift store. It got a quick coat of white gloss spray paint. I loved my apple and rose arrangement so much, I created one for my bedroom.

I found this awesome chandelier at a consignment furniture store in Young Harris, Georgia. Third Time Around. I left the shade distressed and yellow, but painted the lighting portion a matte black.
.
I got this great little black table at Wal-Mart as well. The concrete planter came from the Antique Tobacco Barn in Asheville, North Carolina. The topiary was a great find at the local Ingles Supermarket. The floor to ceiling gauzy white curtain panels came from Ikea and the simple black rods were also from Wal-Mart.

My room was starting to have a very Parisian feel. I really love the herringbone pattern hardwood floors, famous in so many french apartments. I decided to recreate this effect in some art. I hand painted the pattern in yellow and dark grey, then added a crest and monogram to add some personalization. I think the result was very Lavish.

I found this great mirror at an estate sale. It only needed a new mirror insert, the frame was in amazing condition. The candle sconces were another thrift store find. I purchased a white crocodile tray to keep all of my objects in, and a bowl from my great-grandmothers Chinese porcelain collection serves as a catch-all. I added a simple table lamp, from Wal-Mart. It is set off by a carved gazelle my grandparents brought back from Africa, and my childhood silver piggy bank. The prints, by Gustav Klimt, were just brought back to me from my parents trip to Austria.

I found this amazing dresser at Christian Love Ministries thrift store, in Young Harris, Georgia. It was already black and distressed and for thirty dollars, was my favorite find!
.
I needed some simple art for the wall opposite my bed. I found these great frames also at Wal-Mart, kept the mats, and then attached sheet music to black poster board to frame inside the mats.
.
And lastly, to pay a little respect for the city which I started to draw inspiration, I found these great framed prints of Paris at Molly and Me, one of my favorite stores in Hayesville. They have great ornate frames and the simple greys, greens, browns and brick tones really add a simple touch to finish off my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment